Christmas Centrepiece: Top Tips for the Perfect Turkey
Make the turkey the star of your festive entertaining with these top turkey tips. Whether you’re tackling a traditional feast for the first or 100th time, these helpful hints from local butcher J C Rook & Sons will ensure your big bird is the best it can be.
• Buy the best turkey you can afford – fresh is best.
• For crispier skin, unwrap the turkey the day before roasting and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight.
• Cooking times will differ depending on whether your bird was purchased fresh or frozen.
• A turkey will cook more evenly if it is not densely stuffed. A stuffed bird takes longer to cook because the air can’t circulate inside.
• For more even roasting, truss your turkey.
• Before roasting, coat the outside of the turkey with vegetable or olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and tightly cover the breast with foil to prevent over-browning.
• Once you get your turkey in the oven, resist the temptation to keep opening the door to check how it’s doing. About 45 minutes before you think the turkey is done, remove the foil from the breast to allow it to brown.
• Remove the turkey from the oven when the deepest spot between the leg and the breast reads 180°C on an instant-read thermometer.
• Loosely cover the turkey with foil and leave to rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
• Carve your turkey with a very sharp knife.
• For a great range of fine Kentish meats for Christmas, visit J C Rook & Sons at 94 Mount Pleasant Road, Tunbridge Wells TN1 1RT, call 01892 525898 or visit rooksonline.co.uk